63 Fun Questions to Get Your Kid Talking
Children ask lots of questions, but now it’s time to turn the tables. Here are 63 fun “get-to know-you” questions for kids to get a conversation started.
Studies have shown that young children ask over 300 questions each day. But while you might get frustrated with the constant barrage of “why,” answering the questions actually keeps your child's mind open, says author and parenting expert It also lets kids know that imagination and curiosity are wonderful things.
- RELATED: 9 Proven Strategies for Picky Eaters
So how can we encourage kids to keep inquiring? Ask them questions in return! After all, it's proven that kids mimic the words, patterns, routines, and behavior of their parents. Plus, Dr. Borba adds, "You're modeling what a good question looks and sounds like."
Move beyond the basic "How was your day?" and consider this list of 63 fun questions to ask kids to get them talking.
Questions for Toddlers and Preschoolers
1. If your stuffed animals could talk, what would they say?
2.成人小视频app What does it feel like when I hug you?
3.成人小视频app If you drew everything that came to your head, what would you be drawing right now?
4. What do you think you're going to dream about tonight?
5. What sounds do you like?
6. You're outside for a whole day: what would you do?
7. What makes the best fort?
8. How do you think animals communicate?
9. Describe a great day. What are you doing that makes it special?
10. What animal would make a great driver?
11. Do you like it when other people share with you? Why?
12. Who is your favorite storybook character?
13. What one thing do you do now that you need an adult for but would like to try to do all by yourself?
14.成人小视频app If you had to give everyone in the family new names, what would they be?
15.成人小视频app What makes you happy?
16. If you could do anything right now, what would you do?
17.成人小视频app If you had a pet dragon, what would you name it?
18. What would you do together?
Cozi Family Organizer keeps everyone coordinated and on the same page with a color-coded shared calendar, reminders, grocery list and more. You’ll wonder how you managed your busy family life before Cozi!
Questions to Ask Kindergarteners
1. Do you ever think about renaming the colors of your crayons?
2. What character makes you laugh the most?
3. If you opened a store, what would you sell?
4.成人小视频app What's your superhero name and what powers do you have?
5. If you could grow anything in the yard, what would it be?
6.成人小视频app What do you enjoy giving people?
7. Did you smile or laugh extra today?
8. Pretend you're a chef, and tell me about your restaurant. What foods do you serve?
9.成人小视频app Where would you like to travel? How would you get there?
10. If you could ask a wild animal any question, what would you ask?
11.成人小视频app What are some of the best things about nature?
12.成人小视频app You're a photographer for a day, what would you take pictures of?
13. What bugs you?
14. Do you have any inventions in your brain?
15.成人小视频app Do you think it'd be fun to learn another language?
16.成人小视频app If you could make up a new holiday, what would it be?
17.成人小视频app What is the craziest thing you’ve ever eaten?
18. Come up with three silly new traditions for the world. Or for aliens on another planet!
19.成人小视频app What would you do if you made the rules at home?
20.成人小视频app What makes someone smart?
Fun Questions for Older Kids
1.成人小视频app What do you like daydreaming about?
2.成人小视频app Tell me something about you that you think I might not know.
3. What have your friends been up to?
4. What's a memory that makes you happy?
5. What do you look forward to when you wake up?
6. You're at the beach. What's the first thing you do?
7. What makes you feel brave?
8.成人小视频app What makes you feel loved?
9.成人小视频app How do you show people you care?
10.成人小视频app If you could give $100 to a charity, which would you choose?
11.成人小视频app How would you design a treehouse?
12. If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
13. If you designed clothes, what would they look like?
14. How do you best like helping others?
15. What makes you feel thankful?
16.成人小视频app If you made a cave in the woods, what would be inside it?
17. What makes you feel energized?
18. If you were in a play, what would your character be like?
19. What makes your friends so awesome?
20.成人小视频app What makes you so awesome?
21. What are three things you want to do this summer?
22. If you had friends all over the world, how would you keep in touch?
23.成人小视频app If you joined the circus, what would your circus act be?
24. If you were a teacher and could teach your students anything at all, what would you teach them?
25. If a friend asks you to keep a secret that you don’t feel comfortable keeping, what would you do?
The Bottom Line
Don't worry if your child isn't initially excited about answering your questions—and don't rush her to answer or move on to another one too quickly. Letting your child take her time shows that you're genuinely interested in what she has to say, and not just robotically asking.